2013/06/11

Late-Night Snacks and Midnight Minibuses

The first thing I want to do in this article is to share this post from a friend's blog.  This guy has traveled the world, and has intentionally spent time in very difficult, oppressive areas.  But, he was still surprised when he visited Wanchai's red-light district in Hong Kong last month.

I've been to this neighborhood many times, going with friends who want to go pray and minister around Lockhart Road.  Honestly, during the day, it's a nice enough place to hang out and eat.  But at night, it's...not good.  Reading the perspective of someone who hasn't been there before reminded me just how bad it can be.

Here's his experience: mytravelswithfather.wordpress.com/2013/05/03/a-documentary-film/

--

So, after having spent most of the evening in Wanchai praying with friends, I then got to hear testimonies from some other friends in Wanchai.  They had just come back from China, and shared about their interview with a great hero of the underground Chinese church.  He is very old, and this may have been his last interview...it was beautiful, sad, stirring, and provoking to hear what he shared.

After we finished talking, I left my friends' place well after midnight, which meant the metro was closed, and I had to look for a minibus to take me back to New Territories.  On the way, Google Maps directed me to the wrong bus stop, and I ended up seeing Big Pizza (the restaurant mentioned in my friend's article).

<I actually took a picture of the restaurant, but I lost it.  No worries--it wasn't a pretty place, anyway.>


--

I finally found my bus stop and went on my way.  But, I had to transfer buses in Mong Kok.  Instead of transferring and moving on, though, I wandered around for maybe 40 minutes looking for my bus.  Ai-ya!

And it was raining torrentially.  And the traffic was crowded. And it was 2 AM.

That's Mong Kok.

While I was walking around, I realized that this neighborhood was also exactly the place where I had spent my first night in Hong Kong last June, when I moved here from Shanghai.  Housing had not lined up before my move, so I was planning to stay at hostels for my first few weeks in Hong Kong.  I knew Mong Kok had a lot of cheap hostels.  But I didn't realize how cheap (i.e. cramped, dirty, and shady) they were.  It could have been worse, but...

Strolling down memory lane...ish?  (This is where I spent my first night after moving to Hong Kong.)

Anyway, back to the torrential rain and impossible-to-find minibus. Even though it was late, and I was tired, it was actually a beautiful night.  Really, the rain and lightning were awesome. And, I got to "prayer walk" Mong Kok for half an hour.  Honestly, I'm glad it worked out this way.  Mong Kok is the center of a lot of Hong Kong's darker activities, but I was able to look around with great hope.  God has plans for this place.

--

Just a warning...if you don't speak and read Cantonese, the minibus system can be a real challenge.  But, I finally found an Indian-Hong Kong minibus driver, who spoke clear English, and was happy to help me.  It turns out that the minibus stop was actually less than 50 meters away from the spot where I'd been dropped off.  Whoops!

I'm grateful to God (and to Google Maps) for a memorable night on the streets of Hong Kong.  But...I do really need to learn Cantonese.  Fast.

(Photo taken from China Daily HK Edition story, "Midnite Motor Madness", 2009-11-14.  Cached article here.)

No comments: