2012/12/03

Blessing Bus Drivers



So, I woke up Saturday morning, and had to hurry to go meet some friends (a father and son), who needed help moving boxes.  I walked to the bus stop outside my apartment, and realized that I'd forgotten a key I needed.  So, I ran back, and got back to my bus just as it was pulling away.  I was desperate to get on this bus, because it comes only every half hour, and I couldn't be late. And the idea of paying $4 (USD) for a 10-minute taxi was unthinkable.

Here's what happened.  I walked up to the bus door, and asked the driver (through the closed door) to let me on.  He shooed me away.  I asked repeatedly, and desperately.  This went on for 30 seconds, until I was begging. On my knees.  (Okay, maybe I should have left that last part out. But like I said, I was desperate at the moment).

There was traffic in front of him, so he couldn't move forward.  But he still wouldn't let me on.  And he tried to look professional.  But in the end, he just laughed. A lot.

And he drove off, without me.

I finally stood up, dumbfounded that my desperate puppy-dog face hadn't moved the heart of the bus driver.  I went across the street and got a taxi (praise God he understood what I said in Cantonese, because not even I understood what I'd said in Cantonese).  I arrived at the place, met up with my friends earlier than planned, and went with them to their apartment.

And as soon as I arrived at their place, there was an old friend, whom I hadn't seen in 3 years.  I was ecstatic!  He is only in Hong Kong for a few days, and he's quite busy with work, but we got to catch up for a bit before he left for a business trip to Shenzhen.

And if I'd taken the bus, I don't know if I would have caught up with my friend (which was an incredibly encouraging encounter).

God bless bus drivers...all of them!


No comments: