2012/12/24

Festival of Light (i.e. Not the End of the World)

Friday night (i.e. the end of the world) I decided to celebrate December 21, 2012 by attending the Festival of Light in Southorn Stadium, Wan Chai.  It was coordinated by Authentic Worship (run by Pastor Laszlo Kincs), and leaders of other local churches.  I appreciated being gathered with churches from around Hong Kong for this.

This is a pic near the end (i.e. of the event--not of the world :)  Most of my friends at the gathering were in the huge choir behind the stage.

Dancers, and artists, and singers! Oh my!

The communion bread and cups were passed out near midnight.  When I drank from the cup, a little bit spilled onto my wrist.  I couldn't help but be reminded of the communion we share with our brothers and sisters who suffer for their faith.

A little reminder to me...both of what Christ suffered in my place, and of the persecution that many still suffer.

------------------------------------------------


Fast forward to this morning, when I finally got to visit EHOP (Ebenezer House of Prayer).  Not only do I love their location in the New Territories...it's also in sight of mainland China! It really is a beautiful area (sorry I forgot to take pictures--next time!)

The first hour was worship--Mandarin and Cantonese, and a little English. It really helps that I know a lot of the songs, and a lot of the Chinese characters.


The English translation is nice, but doesn't really help pronounce the tougher Chinese characters.

The second hour was prayer for various nations, and for the persecuted Church.  The focus of our prayers was Hebrews 13:1-3.

Let brotherly love continue...Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body.

This weekend has been a time of remembering the persecuted Church.  And, Christmas is a prime time for officials in some nations to crack down on underground church activity.  Here is one concrete example of how people can "remember their chains". ("Leave a Christmas Place Setting for Pastor Saeed")

------------------------------------------------

Even if the idea of "the end of the world" is bogus, we are living for another age.  Let's keep waiting patiently for that age...and loving each other in the meantime.

For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. (2 Cor 5:1)

No comments: